Martin Schwier wrote:
> In the libnotify
> case I would vote to make it a static dependency and not useflag
> controllable or at least set the useflag by default.

I see this so:
If upstream thinks, this is an option, the ebuild should reflect this.
If upstream thinks, this is vital, the ebuild should also reflect this.
The decision, if some feature should always be included, when a package
is compiled, should be made by upstream, not by gentoo. There may be
cases, where it is wise to not follow this rule for various reason, but
this should be made by the package maintainer per package and not be a
general rule. This is what makes gentoo a distribution of choices. I
don't like feature A, upstream doesn't it's vital and gentoo give me the
ability to disable/enable the feature A via USE-flags.

As a conclusion, even a lot of peoples likes libnotify, it is not a
reason to make it a static dependency and not USE-flag controllable.
There may be users, like me, who don't like libnotify. If this is seen
as a major profit for most users, doesn't make a lot of problems, its
USE-flag could be enabled by default. Myself, who would not prefer to
have it enabled by default, can easily reverse that in make.conf.

This is only an opinion from a user and reflects a part, on how I see
gentoo and what it makes it for me the best distribution out there.

Greetings,
Jean-Marc Hengen