On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 04:12:32PM +0200, Natanael Copa wrote:
> I use the gentoo framework to build binary packages. I noticed that most
> packages creates the ssl certificate during src_install(). This makes
> all binary packages contain the ssl certs which is a security threat.
I filed bug #174759 to the security team back in April on this issue,
and then fixed the openldap package where I had originally found it.

Anybody using binpkgs obtained from a public repository that contain SSL
certs should ensure that they regenerate the SSL certs on each machine.

For packages, there are two possible fixes:
1. Move the docert call into pkg_postinst.
2. Provide scripts that generate certs (courier-imap and qmail do this).

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux Developer & Council Member