Chris Gianelloni wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 08:01 +0100, Steve Long wrote:
>> > I've already stated my preference for not doing *anything* outside of
>> > merging packages in the stages.
>> With respect, this is a little confusing. I didn't get past the learning
>> curve for catalyst, but it's clearly not the same as simply merging
>> packages, or you wouldn't need a special tool.
>
> The tool does things like setting up the chroot.  The code run by
> catalyst to get a stage3 from a stage2, not counting things like chroot
> setup, is "emerge -e world" just like going from a stage2->stage3 by
> hand.  Anyway, you don't really need to understand it, as I do, and
> vapier does.  If you're really interested, learn a bit about catalyst.
> Uninformed opinions help no one.

So I don't need to understand it do understand the argument, or I do?
Thanks for conceding that it does a little bit more than merging packages,
in any case.

>> It seemed to me that a clean, *simple* solution which would work for any
>> future packages that might also need this functionality was proposed. Why
>> not just use it? It's only one command, and the standardisation would
>> mean users could rely on the mechanism for system recovery.
>
> Uhh... what does adding "emerge --config" have to do with catalyst?
> There's nothing stopping vapier/anyone from adding the emerge --config
> steps to the ebuilds.  I simply said that I'm not wanting to add code to
> run those to catalyst for the reasons I have already stated.  In no way
> does that impact the usefulness of the config code for end users.  It
> only affects what goes into the stages.

Well clearly it's affected at least one user (or was it a dev; it doesn't
matter does it really?) who stated it affects others. If vapier's solution
of adding *one* command line to catalyst doesn't fulfil the user
requirement, could you state how?

>> Or am I missing some deeper technical implication?
>
> Yup.

Great. What exactly? How does fulfilling the user requirement with vapier's
solution mess up catalyst?