Chris Gianelloni wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 07:19 +0100, Steve Long wrote:
>> This guy: http://gentoovm.blogspot.com/ works for vmware according to his
>> first post here: http://www.vmwhere.net/category/gentoo/ (where he makes
>> clear he has nothing to do with releng, and that his work is in no way to
>> be seen as official.) He might be a good guy to rope in? He seems to be
>> having trouble with hosting and hasn't released since 2006.0 so he'd most
>> likely welcome the approach, imo.
>
> He was on the bug.  Also, people seem to forget that we would also very
> likely have an issue with hosting, too.  We do not have unlimited space
> on our community-donated mirrors.
Yeah I hear that a lot from gentoo devs on irc. Funny thing is, whenever I
turn around and say "Oh there was someone the other day asking whether they
could donate CPU time and bandwidth," they suddenly lose all interest. I
have no idea why.

People don't feel good about donating to an email address.

> It has always been a constant
> struggle within Release Engineering to keep our sizes down.  This is one
> of the reasons that we've not undertaken such a task.  To be honest,
> once I get support in catalyst, it'll be much more likely that I'll end
> up creating these, since I'll be able to share the catalyst caches and
> such between LiveDVD and VM image builds, so it'll take almost no time
> to produce the builds.

So is it the time or the hosting requirement that's the overwhelming factor?
As users are clearly happy to step up and fill in the gaps (as that page
and the bug show.)