On Thursday 27 September 2007, George Shapovalov wrote:
> Thursday, 27. September 2007, Mike Frysinger Ви написали:
> > i think more to the point, ebuilds/eclasses should never be calling
> > `exit`
> >
> > if you want to "return an empty string", then you do `return`
>
> Ok, sorry, will fix.
> Any pointers to some description of where each should be used?

how about:
exit should be used: never
;)

> Is this about "the shell closing itself"?

it's about people in the past incorrectly used `exit` instead of `die` so we'd
prefer exit not leak back in so that new people dont inadvertently get the
same idea

> They both seem to have exactly the same effect in this code..

i imagine the way you're using it, that is true (subshelling for output /
piping), but considering the above, we'd really ask you go with return
-mike