Hi,

Everytime I'm sending out a mail with my gentoo.org-address, I get
this "certificate may be unsecure" message. Gentoo mailserver (and forums,
bugzilla and probably many more) use self-signed ssl-certificates.

Well, I hope I don't have to tell that self-signed certs are not really good
security policy. Imho, having those "pay lots of $/€"-certs also isn't a very
good option, because obviously "security for the ones who pay a lot" isn't a
good idea either.

I think most of you know that there's CAcert, a "free" certificate authority.
While it's sadly not free in a "free software" sense (their own software
isn't released under a free license, though I hope that will change at some
point in the future), it uses a web-of-trust-based concept for trust and
issues certificates with no costs.

I think compared to self-signed, having cacert-certificates would be a big
improvement. Many other free software projects (and more and more other
pages) use cacert, so it becomes more and more likely that people will
already have the cacert-root-cert installed.

--
Hanno Böck              Blog:   http://www.hboeck.de/
GPG: 3DBD3B20           Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]