On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 09:29 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 01-10-2007 22:59:40 +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
> > I would like to propse a new versionator.eclass for consideration
> > (attached).
> >
> > This version, I believe, is more readable and maintainable then the one
> > currently in portage. It also uses a lot less code and has the bonus of
> > being
> > pure sh.
>
> What is your rationale to say that "pure sh" is a "bonus"?  Especially
> given the environment this is used in as ferdy already pointed out?
>
> I personally like consistency.  So if we use bash in ebuilds, then I'd
> like to use bash in eclasses too.  I'm interested in your motivation to
> make this eclass "pure sh", whatever that may mean.

Code is GPL. It can be reused. shell code that can compare versions is
very attarctive. It can be used to write shellscripts that removes all
tbz2 but the last version. It can be re-used in runtime-only
environemnts. It can be reused on non-gentoo hosts hosting
distfiles/tbz2. Or it can be reused in a binary only package manager
like http://apk-tools.sf.net (yep, i reinveted the wheel there, just
because my uclibc runtime environments dont include python)

If it make sense to POSIX compliant shell code in any eclass, it would
be version handling code.

Thanks Roy!

-nc