On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 01:06 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > You can also do some pattern matching like so
> >
> > foo="foo foobar"
> >
> > [ "${foo%foobar}" = "${foo}" ] || echo "ends with foobar"
> > [ "${foo#foobar}" = "${foo}" ] || echo "starts with foo"
> > [ "${foo#* }" = "${foo}" ] || echo "has a space"
> >
> > So there's no need for convoluted nested case statements.
>
> "no need" implies that everything can be done, but you started off
> with "some" ...

Yes, the some being =~, which is the only operator I know of that cannot
be done with posix sh

>  you're still going from one clean logic statement to multiple
> ones where the nested logic gets to be a pita to track.  again, this
> is a sad/unacceptable solution.

OK, it's time to pony up - show me a code snippet which you think a
nested code snipet which you think is unworkable in posix sh when
transitioning from [[ ]] to [ ].

=~ isn't allowed as that's a strict bashism.

Thanks

Roy