On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 20:25 +0100, Steve Long wrote:
> Natanael Copa wrote:

> If you're that motivated why not just start hacking on binary support in
> portage/pkgcore/paludis? There's always open bugs.

I think I did contribute with some patches for qmerge in portage-utils.

Unfortunally, its pretty difficult to make a lightweight C (language)
only binary installer without having at least the eclasses and GNU
tools.

It kind of defeat the idea of having a lightweight binary only runtime
environment. (lightweight means busybox - which give you most of the
basic GNU tools, linux-utils, wget, shell, http server and much more for
the size of bash only)

> >> Your own binary only package manager would still need to provide
> >> Option #2; ie you need to have GNU tools installed to process the
> >> binary packages.  pkg_* functions could still have GNU stuff in them
> >> and those still get run during a binary package install.
> >
> > If we would like to be able to do binary installs without the GNU tools,
> > what alternatives do we have?
> >
> <snip stuff that all takes a lot of effort for zero end-user gain>
>
> > Any other alternatives?
> >
> > Comments?
> >
> I'd just specify BASH (as I don't see the point in making the distinction as
> it only applies to build machines) and coreutils/findutils etc.

To properly install a prebuilt binary packages you need the pkg_* funcs
in the ebuild.

> Asking everyone to switch coding style for certain functions, just to
> support the stuff that Gentoo was designed to do from the beginning, seems
> counter-productive.

We already do different for init.d scripts (which is great!) , but sure,
I get the point.

> For every market except embedded, which we've discussed
> already, BASH is not a major issue: nor are the other tools mentioned.

I happen to do embedded.

> > Alternative C is what I do today.
> >
> Sounds rough :)

Thats why I'm interested in alternatives.

> (I really would recommend #pkgcore as well as there is several years of work
> to do with binpkgs in that.)

So far no packagemanager using the portage stuff (eclasses) are not even
close to compete in size for binary only installs. Closest is
portage-utils's qmerge but it would need atleast the eclasses and bash
which would atleast double the size in comparison what I do today.

Looks like i will need to continue do my own stuff.

Thanks for you time!

> Standardising on a certain subset of base GNU tools seems like a good idea
> to me too.

-nc