Samuli Suominen wrote:
Hi,

Recently, I've edited or bumped some ebuilds which had USE gnome in
them but it was actually doing something entirely different in them,
like latest edition of media-libs/raptor had USE gnome pulling in glib
which it was using for unicode purposes (so USE unicode was natural
choice but only gnome users had it until now)

I'm not pointing or blaming anyone but next time you edit an ebuild
which is using USE gnome please check what it is actually doing and
note that GLIB and GTK+ is NOT gnome

Thanks, drac

Kinda like the GNOME herd does themselves? I've pointed this one out a few times just cause it annoys me... gnome-mount has USE=gnome... well... DUH! it's a gnome-volume-manager specific and GNOME Desktop specific wrapper for HAL based mounting. Obviously it's used by GNOME and only does and can function within a GNOME Destkop environment. But what does this USE flag mean? Oh, it simply means you want to build the Nautilus extension! Do we already have a USE=nautilus? Yes, yes we do. It's a local USE flag used in 3 packages, 2 of those 3 are GNOME herd packages.

Either way, the Gentopia copies of gnome-mount continue to use a nautilus USE flag. Maybe someday, the light will shine.

Since body language and tone do 90% of speaking and words only do 10%, I would like to just point out that the sarcasm of this e-mail is intentional but not meant to be insulting. It's merely a point highlighting the fact that a non-GNOME herd member made a request that the GNOME herd should make and the herd should stick to.

--
Doug Goldstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/