On Wednesday 14 November 2007, Ferris McCormick wrote:
> Note, however, that for example in /usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh, it's
> always quoted (except once, which looks like an oversight).

I was talking about referencing variables when declaring other variables.
Whenever you actually use a variable in-line (e.g. as a parameter to a
command), you have to quote as well of course.
i.e.
        A=${B}
and not
        cd ${B}

The difference is that bash handles variable assignments all interally and is
smart enough to handle ${B} properly, while vars that are passed to some
command are just evaluated and passed to the command in question and cannot
be "protected" anymore by bash. AFAIK.

--
Torsten Rehn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gentoo AMD64 Arch Tester