On 2007/12/18, Ciaran McCreesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:10:46 -0700
> Joe Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I probably missed some of the stuff leading up to this GLEP, but
> > what is the problem with having the EAPI in the file and
> > determining it by looking at the file contents?
>
> Motivation, second bullet point:
>
> | Possibility to extend the behaviour of inherit and add new global
> | scope functions (as a result of not sourcing ebuilds with
> | unsupported EAPI).

Why can't it be in the file but readable without sourcing? For instance,
it could be mandatory that EAPI=X, if present, must be the first
non-blank and non-comment line of the ebuild (and it would then be
checked after sourcing, if the ebuild is sourced, to bug on cases where
it's redefined or unset afterwards).

--
TGL.