On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:23:08 +0800
Zhang Le <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Quite the opposite. EAPI's are designed to live happily together in
> > the same repository. A current example: most (or lots...) ebuilds in
> > the tree don't need EAPI="1" and it's pointless to migrate all of
> > them. We can switch EAPI on an as needed basis.
>
> But EAPI's can not always co-exist harmoniously.
> What if a future EAPI come up with a totally new DEPENDENCY
> setting[1], which is incompatible with existing ones.

DEPENDENCIES can exist in the same tree as *DEPEND. They can't exist
within the same ebuild, but that's OK because you can't mix EAPIs at
that level.

> I really don't see the necessity to have so many EAPI's

A new EAPI is needed for new features, so new EAPIs will be needed in
the future. Equally, migrating the whole tree at once to newer EAPIs is
a) a lot of unnecessary work, and b) unnecessarily irritating to people
using older package managers.

> especially PM specific EAPI. We can't have PM specific EAPI,
> otherwise we are risking forking/splitting ourself.

Package manager EAPIs don't belong in the main tree, but they have uses
outside of it.

--
Ciaran McCreesh