Simon Cooper wrote:
> nearly all binary files do versioning/format information inside the
> files

Think of different EAPIs as different set of rules for the ebuild
contents. If you accept this, you can easily define "new EAPI" as a "new
format for ebuilds". It's nice that current EAPI "1" is backwards
compatible with the default one, but nobody can guarantee that for
future EAPIs. And this is what this thread is about.

So, now if it is a different format, it is perfectly reasonable to
invent another extension for it, isn't it?

> and one of the main things I like in unix is that file format is
> *independant* of what you actually name it (a text file can be named
> *.wibble, or even have no extension at all and nothing will break).

On the contrary, if you rename an ebuild, it doesn't work.

> Filenames are generally quite mutable - changing the filename is just a
> single 'mv'

Only root can mess with files in my $PORTDIR. If you're working as root,
you should better pay attention before you move files around.

Cheers,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth