Hi,

masking out the dependency with /etc/portage/profile is not a problem, but why is it needed? Why is there the dependency on man-pages in diffutils? I think this question is not related to embedded, it's about a wrong dependency of a system-package. More people could hit this when they build a minimal vserver or simply don't like man. Any objections on removing this dependency?

Cheers
Stefan Hellermann

Duncan schrieb:
Stefan Hellermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on  Sat, 29 Dec 2007
21:45:45 +0100:

why has sys-apps/diffutils a dependency on >=sys-apps/man-pages-2.46?

I'm using a embedded uclibc system

There are people here who work with embedded and ulibc. I'm not one of them and won't try to answer directly. However, to fix the dependency...

Use /etc/portage/profiles/package.provided. See the portage manpage for details. I have a number of "unnecessary dependencies" listed there, and a few virtuals faked in a virtuals file in the same dir, as well. If you don't like Gentoo's dependencies, they /do/ give you a way to change them yourself without a whole lot of trouble. =8^)

BTW, if you aren't yet aware of it, there's the Gentoo-embedded list. Next time I'd suggest trying there, first. =8^)