On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 10:49 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> while is_older_than is negotiable, removing KV_* is not.  those are pretty
> tight utility functions which duplication in $random-packages will only lead
> to problems (especially considering the history of making sure they were
> coded right).  they've weathered quite a long time and should be pretty much
> unchanged, so there is no good reason to omit them.  there is no overhead of
> having them available and maintaining them.

KV_* only makes sense when dealing with Linux version numbers are
they're always numeric. The BSD's on the other hand include textual
elemants too.
uname -r on this machine is 7.0-RC1.

luckily, baselayout-2 as it stands in portage only exports the KV_to_int
function so that's the only one we should be dealing with.

So, the question is, do we want to maintain one massive KV_to_int that
has different code paths for uname -s output, or get function.sh to
include an OS specific file we supply just for this one function?

Or just put the function in modules-update and udev as they are the only
two applications that use it.

> if you want a cleaner interface for is_older_than, then we could hammer that
> out, but if it's just a pass through to a C applet, then leaving it alone
> makes sense.

Currently it's neither as it's been integrated into the librc dependency
code. Again, the only consumer of this function is now modules-update.

> > > I also notice that the timezone of clock is gone, any alternative?
> > > Also the network dependency of stopping/starting services when network
> > > is unavailable/available is gone, any alternative?
> >
> > The timezone was variable was just a hack for the timezone ebuild to
> > update /etc/localtime if it's not a symlink. I'm striving to remove all
> > "Gentooisms" from it so that it really is platform neutral.
>
> you view the purpose of TIMEZONE incorrectly.  it was a central script
> parasable location to store the system timezone.  every distribution out
> there does it somehow.  the way for OpenRC to do it is set the variable
> in /etc/conf.d/clock.  the fact that currently the timezone ebuild is the
> only one using it is irrelevant.

Then I suggest that conf.d/clock is the wrong place for it as if it was
set there then it implies that `/etc/init.d/clock start` would change to
that timezone, which is clearly not the case.

Thanks

Roy