On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 20:45 +0100, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> >> a) Drop all keywords but those of mips. Leaves mips and, more
> >> importantly, its users with a vulnerable and unmaintained set of
> >> packages.
> >
> > ...and break the tree spectacularly, causing huge amounts of pain for
> > your fellow developers when they encounter horrible repoman output when
> > they try to do anything.
>
> Can somebody clarify to me why would it cause this? Maybe I just miss
> something.

He's making the assumption that this sort of thing would be done
improperly and would cause other developers issues.

I went and created a tiny script[1] to change mips KEYWORDS to ~mips in
the tree, and created a patch[2] against the current CVS tree.  Were the
Council to choose this course of action, the work is mostly done.

[1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~wolf31o2/killmips.sh
[2] http://dev.gentoo.org/~wolf31o2/mips_to_testing.patch

--
Chris Gianelloni