On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 01:01:04AM +0200, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> On 1/19/08, Robin H. Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > My core concern with the SVN http://, was the crappy performance it
> > provided compared to svn://. The main rsync tree has never been
> > available for iterative syncing via http://, just had tarball snapshots
> > and deltas instead.
> If I understand correctly, the performance of svn under apache is
> better than the svnserver, the same for git... Well... This is only
> for my experience.
> In git case, apache is used to transfer files, and it is much better
> in this than the most available alternatives.
Umm, I think you've got things a bit reversed here.
The core problem with using both SVN and Git over HTTP, is the number of
round trips required. Git provides the best example, if the server side
isn't already packed, each object needs to get fetched individually.
Whereas the git:// protocol effectively sends 'I have rev XYZ, give me
everything up to HEAD.' One message in each direction, with a slight
wait in the middle while the server prepares the response.

> In svn case, apache provides the concurrency missing from svnserve.
svnserve running under xinetd so it's niced and set to a max of 10
concurrent users. I benched it up with 30 concurrent updates myself, but
I want to save room for now.

> Even if tree signing will be available, the developers should work in
> secured channel... ssh or https... The users will benefit from the
> signing and not require secured channel.
>
> Until signing will be available, I think it is very important for us
> to provide reliable source.
The git:// and svn:// are for the anonymous side - I did state
that clearly in my original post. Git commits are using git+ssh:// (via
gitosis), and while I'd like to do the same for SVN, it will probably
remain SVN-over-https:// for now.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy