Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:43:56 -0500
Doug Klima <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ok. I guess no one else has any feelings about this.

Potentially doing something like:

DEPRECIATED="$DEPRECATED $ECLASS"

Deprecated != depreciated.
You caught my typo. You clearly still got the meaning of the e-mail...
at the top of each deprecated eclass. In the end $DEPRECATED would
have a list of all the eclasses that are deprecated?

Maybe even:

DEPRECATED_MYECLASS="myreplacement"

would mean that myeclass.eclass is replaced by myreplacement.eclass ?

Well, that depends upon whether you want it to be part of the C/P-V
metadata... If you do, it's a cache format change (and you can't easily
do DEPRECATED_*). But then, deprecation is a property of the eclass,
not an C/P-V.

Deprecation is a property of the eclass. Not of an ebuild. The point is to allow utilities and users/developers to clearly see that an eclass is deprecated and what they should be using in place of it.