On 27-02-2008 10:46:43 +0000, Roy Marples wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:42:05 +0100, Fabian Groffen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > - baselayout porting to Prefix (mostly the start stop mechanisms)
>
> What start stop mechanics do you mean?
>
> OpenRC already has full FreeBSD jail support in services like do
> depend() { keyword nojail; }
>
> That effectively disables the automatic running of services by rc itself,
> such as fsck, mounting and stuff as that's taken care of by the host OS.
> Running in Prefix is pretty much the same as a jail from OpenRC's
> perspective
> (correct me if I'm wrong) so all we would have to do is tell OpenRC that
> it's
> currently in a jail. Presently this is done only for FreeBSD by testing
> sysctl values. Maybe we could turn this into a compile option for Prefix.
>
> Also, we now support services in directories other than /etc/init.d,
> although
> this is currently hard coded to /usr/local/etc/init.d.

Well... that's great!  But a jail or a (ch)root is in general not the
same as a "prefix".  I have to look more closely at what openrc does
these days, but for the (ancient) version of baselayout we have in
prefix now, I recall that:
a) most of it didn't compile on Darwin and Solaris
b) hence we only use basically the functions.sh script (hacked up)
so what we need to have working is:
${EPREFIX}/etc/init.d/postgresql start
and similar.

And maybe even a sort of init-level stuff, such that one can start all
services in the Prefix and stop them as well.  That basically gets quite
useful once Prefix goes "privileged" and you could start sshd, slapd,
apache2, etc, etc. on privileged ports, and you really would like those
to be started as well in some correct order (on e.g. Solaris).

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level