Richard Freeman wrote:
Raúl Porcel wrote:
Peter Weller wrote:
Oh, I'd be more than happy to accept help from developers like that.
It's just a case of what the "big bosses" think of it. Plus there's
the fact that some other arches operate on a "it compiles, mark it
stable" policy, and we don't want developers to bring that attitude to
the amd64 team.
Hope you're not referring to any of my arches because that's not true :)
In fact, if i did that, i wouldn't crash the alpha dev box so often,
right Tobias?

I dunno - I just hit bug 211021 today while trying to clean out old
bugs.  Already stable on one arch and not a word from the maintainer.

I do agree with many of the posts in this thread by others - a big issue
is manpower.  However, I did want to mention that stabling packages
without input from maintainers seems to be a moderately-common practice.

I've never seen that, unless the maintainer doesn't respond, like in this case, humpback has been ignoring his bugs for a long time, like other devs(unfortunately). Maybe the council should talk about that: devs ignoring his bugs for months, but i don't know how would they enforce that.

What i've seen is some bugs where the arches were cc'ed by users or by a developer, but in this case, someone of the arch team that knows that the dev is active, just uncc's all the arches until the maintainer responds, but in this case, humpback didn't say anything about the previous tor stabilization request for months. So you should be glad someone active like Christian, took over the maintenance and he is responsible if something goes wrong with the stabilization.

 I'm sure the arch team leaders would welcome help if it were offered,
but it is more important that packages keyworded stable actually work
than for the latest-and-greatest package to be marked stable.
Interested users can volunteer to be ATs as well - in my past experience
as an AT when I keyworded a bug STABLE I could expect to see it
committed by a dev within a few hours.

IIRC you are from the blubb era, i'm i right? Blubb did a really god job with amd64, and in fact amd64 started 'slacking' since blubb left. Unfortunately that doesn't work anymore, in a lot of bugs i've seen an AT of yours posting his results, when i was going to do my arches. So i was more faster even that i have no ATs.

And look at x86, we don't have any ATs, god, we even had some that moved to amd64! drac, mlangc, etc etc.
For example, bug 205242. Look, its mlangc! :P

While amd64 is a lot more mainstream than it used to be you can't just
assume that upstream wouldn't have released something if it didn't work
perfectly on amd64.

Indeed, but on x86 we don't assume it either :) I don't understand how you having so many users, have manpower problems, you have two channels on IRC, x86 only has one and nobody says anything.
It's just a though, i'm not blaming anyone.