On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 19:48 +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:

> What exact time constraints and responsibilities are people afraid of?
> Are those concerns real or just myths?

As someone who just sent in the quiz, yes its real concerns. What scared
me off mostly is the gentoo politics. The entire process to become a
"gentoo developer" is a scare off. Took me weeks to complete the quiz. I
want to help, yes, but I do have a life.

> > A formal proxy-maintainer could really help in our sometimes blind
> > maintaining duties.
>
> What would be the difference between a "formal proxy-maintainer" and
> how we handle it currently?

It's documented? I hardly know it was possible. I have heard the term
proxy maintainer a few time and offerend to become one without beeing
100% what it was. I talked about to become a dev only to be able to
maintain a handful ebuilds but was even recommended to not do that due
to QA issues. That kind of turned me off [1].

At the same time I go the offer to maintain a package in FreeBSD. I said
yes because it was very simple. So I have been a freebsd ports
maintainer for years, while it took me years to actually take the step
to fill in the quiz, even if i run gentoo on desktop and run my own
distro based on Gentoo.

I'd probably not do the quiz again but I'd be more than happy to
maintain a few packages.

> Marius

-nc

[1]http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-dev@lists.gentoo.org/msg15926.html

PS. The entire thread is kind of interesting to read.