Richard Freeman wrote:
|>> ... I don't think there is any excuse not to update the published
|>> release schedule,...
|
| <snip>
|
|> the update is simple: the untimely and quite unexpected surgical
|> "complication" resulting in the death of my mother has set back a
|> number of schedules,
|
| Lesson:  Ask nicely before going into attack mode.  Don't assume the
| worst.  Consequently, avoid putting foot in mouth...

I did ask nicely. In the #gentoo-releng IRC channel. No action was taken, and
coming across users every day who are wondering what is going on, is simply said
frustrating. And you misunderstand, I'm not assuming the worst, I just was
making my point forcefully, in order to communicate both the frustration of
users left in the dark and of devs dealing with these users, as well as the need
for action. It is not an attack, but a serious point of concern, that I strongly
feel we need to take action about.

I fully and wholeheartedly sympathize with musikc and wolf31o2. My condolences.
You guys should deal with your family situation, that speaks for itself. Please
don't misunderstand my OP as an attack. It wasn't directed at you at all.

All I want, all most users want, is an announcement by somebody else from the
releng team about the delay.

| Try to remember that this is a volunteer-driven effort.  If you want it
| to stay vibrant we need to try to be nice to each other.  There have
| been many occasions where I've needed something from a gentoo dev - if
| you ask nicely there is a good chance you'll get it, and if you
| volunteer to help out in some way there is an even better chance.

I completely understand we are all volunteers. You don't hear me saying "we have
to keep to the release schedule no matter what". I understand that there are
reasons for the delay (and in this case extremely serious reasons). You don't
hear me complain about that.

I went to the #gentoo-releng channel and suggested nicely that an announcement
about the delay would be much appreciated. I also offered my help if there was
anything I can do. I was told there isn't anything I can do, and that's fair
enough. I just wanted to make my point that I'm willing to help, not just
"complaining".

| Sure, maybe some things could be improved.

That is all I'm trying to achieve.

| But, new blood is always welcome

Of which I am a drop.