Ciaran McCreesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on  Wed, 16 Apr 2008
18:24:05 +0100:

> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:17:51 +0200
> Frank Gruellich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I was not able to create a filename or path containing it.  (Anyone
>> else?)
>
> Unix file names can't contain / or null.

Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe I was reading
somewhere and /thought/ it was this list...

While you are almost certainly correct on POSIX/Unix filenames and the
shell won't accept / in a filename, IIRC (from reading) it's often
possible for C programs to code a literal / in a filename, and possible
for some filesystems (also written in C, generally) to accept it.  Thus,
while POSIX/Unix standards don't allow it, in practice, it's sometimes
possible, if rare.

This was an entirely new idea to me when I read it, but it sounded like
just the sort of filesystem implementation detail one might overlook, so
I remembered it, I /believe/ accurately.  Whatever your faults, you /do/
tend to be quite accurate on such things, so if you'd either confirm this
or disabuse me of my misinformation, I'd definitely appreciate it.

If it's correct, it's certainly worth considering before one starts
making absolutist assumptions and statements that could be wrong in some
cases, particularly as such bad assumptions seem to often lead ultimately
to security faults.