On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Mike Auty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Peter Volkov wrote:
> | Is there any reason why --as-needed is not enabled "by default"?
>
> There's still about 18 open bugs on the tracker[1] for it.  You can see
> how many problems it had been causing by the huge number of blocking bugs.
>
> I've been using it for a pretty long time now (probably a couple weeks
> after Diego first blogged about it) and don't have many problems at all
> (now), but every once in a while a version bump or a new package will
> just fail to compile properly and the problem leads back to as-needed.
> I'm not sure whether ~arch users would be able to catch all the
> as-needed bugs before they hit stable, so I couldn't say whether it
> should be enabled by default or not.

That's not a problem at all. If we choose to support --as-needed by
default we'd get testing from maintainers when adding new ebuilds, and
from arch teams before ebuilds hit stable.

--as-needed breaking legitimate code is a problem, though. I wonder if
we have that kind of code in any application in the tree and if we
have some way to detect it.

Regards,
--
Santiago M. Mola