While we can continually loop around w/ the "--as-needed is evil since
c++ does this one odd thing occasionally" argument, why not hear from
the folks using it, specifically finding out what breaks in their
usage?

Ciaran: yes, just because the tree works now w/ --as-needed doesn't
mean that future pkg versions will work.  Dumb argument however
(has shades of 'the sky is falling') since *every* new version is
untested and has the potential to break against our accepted build
environments (or to break pre-existing pkgs).  That's a known issue,
and dealt with (30 days stablization among other things).

So... folks have pointed out a benefit to using --as-needed.  The
benefit itself doesn't seem particularly in dispute, analyze the
fallout from it- if the best that is offered is "the spec says
otherwise", screw the spec frankly- a .01% breakage w/ 99.99% pkgs
getting a positive gain is a strong argument for doing exemptions
where needed.

Basically, pull out the stats of the breakage.  There is *always* risk
in changes (new gcc, new bash breaking paludis/portage, etc), someone
kindly come back w/ stats backing their specific viewpoint.

Arguing over the spec at this point isn't going anywhere, so just
drop it.

~harring