Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 22:35:25 -0700
> Donnie Berkholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Did anyone already propose specifying this in metadata.xml?
>
> Yup. That's a no-go, since metadata.xml is quite rightly treated as
> being "not suitable for anything the package manager really needs".
>
> It also moves the EAPI definition even further away from the ebuild,
> which makes it even harder to work with.
>
> And, of course, it's not backwards compatible, so it'd still need a
> file extension change.

Another ugly solution: Having the EAPI on a per-package (like
$portagedir/cat/package-1) or per-tree basis ($portagedir/profiles/eapi)
and start providing our tree as overlays of more than one tree
(will end up in a mess of dependencies, but it would still be nice to
specify the EAPI for a complete overlay instead of having the name all the
ebuilds like .eapi-X :-).
In addition: it wouldn't be possible to identify the EAPI of an ebuild by
just looking at it...