On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 08:23:59AM +0100, Richard Brown wrote:
> Also, I think you seem to be suggesting that gentoo is so well tested
> that once something's marked stable, there's no point in testing it.

A very good point. Just last week the *stable* perl cairo bindings were
broken by a x11-libs/cairo bump. We caught this however and noticed that
the new perl cairo bindings worked. Those were then stabilized at the
same time and users now have a working cairo.

What would have happened if that hadn't happened? Any package that
depended on dev-perl/Cairo would've been broken.

The lesson to learn is that once something is stable doesn't mean it's
always stable. If a user finds out that way and files a bug, chances are
greater that he'll get a dev-perl/Cairo that works with the new cairo
version soon, rather than a dev-perl/Cairo version that breaks
immediately.

What would you rather have?