Ciaran McCreesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on  Fri, 13 Jun
2008 06:26:12 +0100:

> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:30:54 +0530
> "Arun Raghavan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> And why do you have to be plain insulting about it? Nobody can
>> magically spot every single bug in any piece of code presented to them.
>> In fact it's why the "given enough eyes ..." adage is one of the bases
>> of open source development.
>
> Which is why any responsible person ensures good test coverage.
>
>> I _honestly_ do not understand why there is so much trouble in simple
>> cooperation amongst adults.
>
> I agree entirely. Why the pkgcore people refuse to do basic automated
> tests is completely beyond me.

That may or may not be, but it's beside the point.  The point is that a
bug was found, that fact was stated, and regardless of other points that
could be made, the developer of the code in question was all but forced
to call the person who caught the bug God and ask forgiveness for his
sin, in ordered to find out what the bug was.

Cooperation is understanding that people may have different development
methods and reporting the bug as found so it can be fixed, possibly
pointing out while doing so how much simpler it would be to find such
bugs in the future if an automated test case was created.  Cooperation is
not forcing them to do it my way now, or at least admit my way's better,
before deigning to reveal the bug I know and they don't.  If enough bugs
happen due to the lack of those tests and they hit enough people, the
problem will one way or another take care of itself as the test cases are
either provided and integrated somehow some way, or people move on to
more stable solutions.  If not, perhaps those test cases weren't so vital
after all, and fixing the handful of bugs as they appeared ultimately
worked just as well as doing all those extra corner-case tests.