On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:05:01 +0200
Luca Barbato <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Piotr Jaroszyński wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > looks like every nominee wants the council to be more technical so I
> > have a few technical questions for you:
> >
> > 1. GLEP54
>
> Just for fun I took some of the ideas about alternative management of
> the issue and specified the features it makes it worth changing
> (better management and automated snapshot generation from the live
> ebuild).
>
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero/glep/liveebuild.rst
>
> I'd like to see some comment on it (I put it in glep form just now so
> it isn't exactly perfect)

Ignoring possible semantic issues for the moment, I'd be against this
simply because it would require the PM to be aware of the current
revision of the repository and to transform it into a integer value
(trivial for SVN, not so trivial for CVS for example). Which in turn
either means that the PM has to internally support the SCMs or support
some new phase functions to extract the revision.
Plus it has similar (unstated) transition issues as GLEP-54, just avoids
a new comparison algorithm and the CPV vs. atom issue.

Marius