* Gilles Dartiguelongue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
> Le lundi 30 juin 2008 à 19:01 +0200, Enrico Weigelt a écrit :
> > <big_snip>
> >
> > Funny, how you all manage to make simple things complicated ;-o
> >
> > I guess nobody considered an trivial solutions like an useflag ...
>
> no, this is not the proper solution. Just consider how bad gtk/gtk2
> useflag was and that was with only 1 package with 2 slots.

Well, some of you might still remember what I said about gtk and
slots long time ago. Just to summarize my point:

* the use of slots should be MINIMIZED. IMHO, the kernel is one
  of the few valid uses, gtk is NOT (1.* and 2.* are *different*
  packages and so should be treated differently).

* at runtime an most packages need that variant/slot they were
  built for (and gtk1'ed package needs gtk-1.x, NOT gtk-2.* and
  vice versa)

* often the slots are just necessary because the upstream's
  bad code design. IMHO, if a package doesn't have *clean*
  dependency tree, it's simply not a package, but just a
  bunch of code ;-P

> Now think about say db (berkeleydb) or gtkhtml (and I'm still
> probably overlooking the most important point).

What's exactly the problem with that packages ?

BTW: maybe many things would be easier, if portage itself could
differenciate between source and binary packages, but that might
be a too big step ;-o

cu