В Втр, 01/07/2008 в 05:05 +0300, Mart Raudsepp пишет:
> Over a year or two ago, it was communicated that it supposedly a policy
> that USE=static

Well, I don't have web-reference at hand now, but there was a thread in
gentoo-dev with the subject: "Say no to static libraries!". Summarizing
some ideas from there:

1. Some packages will break if you build their deps with USE=static.
This can be fixed when we start to use USE-deps in the tree.

2. We already have mechanism to make what you want. Just drop
EXTRA_ECONF="--disable-static" into your make.conf and to workaround
problem stated in point 1 use

EXTRA_ECONF="${EXTRA_ECONF/--disable-static}"

in /etc/portage/env/cat/pkg. (For those who interested  list of packages
for which I have to filter --disable-static is in attachment).

Well, I'm using EXTRA_ECONF for more then year now and I'd like to say
that it's not perfect solution. Not all packages are autotools based and
ignore --disable-static and now I have 103M of static libs on my
desktop. So now I'm all for having static-libs USE flag. But please,
don't do that on per-package base. Make an eclass for that. Think about
not-autotools packages, and don't put it in the tree until we start
using USE deps.

Thanks for reiterating this discussion. I wanted to return to it soon as
seems that USE deps are really about to enter our life.

And BTW, seems that all gnome packages obey EXTRA_ECONF ;)

--
Peter.
dev-libs/popt
dev-libs/lzo