Zac Medico wrote:
> Ryan Hill wrote:

>>> Perhaps, but we need to clarify how that sort of setting will affect
>>> nested sets. For example, if @compiz-fusion contains nested sets,
>>> would those USE settings apply to the nested sets as well? Will
>>> nested sets be allowed to have independent USE settings from the
>>> sets that nest them?
>> Maybe a nested set could inherit the USE flag settings of its parent set
>> unless it has its own entry in package.use.
>
>> Though what happens if a package is in both sets which have
>> conflicting flags in package.use?  I would say that the nested set has
>> to have priority.  If not, I can easily imagine people getting confused
>> when their USE settings for a set are being applied to all but
>> one or two packages.
>
> It seems to me that the most logical approach would be to do some
> sort of "incremental" stacking, similar to the way that USE flags
> stack in the profiles. Suppose that we have the following settings
> in package.use:
>
>  @kde-meta    foo bar
>  @kdeedu-meta -foo
>
> If the flags are stacked incrementally, analogously to the way that
> they are stacked in profiles, then the above setting would apply the
> "foo" and "bar" flags to all of @kde-meta except for the
> @kdeedu-meta subset which would only have "bar" applied since "foo"
> has been disabled incrementally. Does this approach seem reasonable?

This sounds a good approach.

Ryan, I disagree with your proposal. If I enable a use flag for the
"meta" @kde and also disable it for @kdenetwork, I don't expect my
option for the @kde "meta" to override my option for @kdenetwork.
As Zac proposed, an incremental stack makes more sense. Before we had
sets, when we enabled a use flag for a meta and disabled it for an
ebuild pulled by the meta, we never expected the option for the ebuild
to be overridden by the option for the meta.

- --
Regards,

Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / SPARC / KDE