Zac Medico wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This is a revised version of the PROPERTIES=set proposal which has
> been discussed previously [1].

< snip a detailed proposal about a new kind of set>

Let me try show some real examples of the type of sets I would like to
use and how I'd like to use them, so that your proposal and the
discussion on sets can take this into account.

"meta" sets:
- ---- @kde ----
# We don't include kdesdk on the global set
kde-base/kate

@kdeadmin
@kdeartwork
@kdebase
@kdeedu
@kdegames
@kdegraphics
@kdemultimedia
@kdenetwork
@kdepim
@kdetoys
@kdeutils
- ---- @kde ----

simple sets (list of ebuilds)
- ---- @kdetoys ----
kde-base/amor
kde-base/kteatime
kde-base/ktux
kde-base/kweather
- ---- @kdetoys ----

sets with conditional deps
- ---- @compiz-fusion ----
dev-python/compizconfig-python
x11-apps/ccsm
x11-apps/simple-ccsm
x11-libs/compiz-bcop
x11-libs/libcompizconfig
x11-plugins/compiz-fusion-plugins-main
x11-plugins/compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
x11-themes/emerald-themes
x11-wm/compiz
emerald? (x11-wm/emerald )
gnome? ( x11-libs/compizconfig-backend-gconf )
kde? ( x11-libs/compizconfig-backend-kconfig )
unsupported? ( x11-plugins/compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported )
- ---- @compiz-fusion ----

It would also be important to have versioned sets (depending on a slot,
for example). Marius Mauch (genone) suggested a very interesting way to
solve this by using a set config file (portage specific) that, as he
stated, "should work if I got the syntax right from memory" [current
Portage svn] (something similar to):

- ---- sets.conf ----
[slot-4.1]
class=dbapi.VariableSet
variable=SLOT
include=4.1

[kdebase]
class=files.StaticFileSet
filename=kdebase

[kdebase-4.1]
class=base.DummyPackageSet
extend=kdebase
intersect=slot-4.1
- ---- sets.conf ----

Being able to take advantage of use deps for packages would be a bonus:
kde? (
    x11-libs/compizconfig-backend-kconfig
    x11-wm/compiz[kde]
)

These type of sets cover what I need / would like to have at the moment.
How would I like to use them? I would like to have the sets defined in
the tree as "base" sets that users can "tweak" to their needs. So they
should be able to use something similar to package.use (package.use
itself?) to add desired conditional deps such as "@compiz-fusion
- -emerald -gnome kde unsupported". With the sets operators being defined
by genone for Portage[1] '-', '/' users should also be able to create
sets with a list of packages they don't want to install, so if someone
wouldn't want to install kppp with @kdenetwork, they could create a
@kdenetwork-unwanted set with kppp and run "emerge -av
@[EMAIL PROTECTED]". It would be really helpful if we
could have a "package.mask" like structure that allowed users to "mask"
deps from sets (does / could package.mask be used this way?) so that one
wouldn't be forced to run "emerge -av @[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
every time. Running "emerge -av @kdenetwork/@installed"  to reinstall
only installed deps or "emerge -uDav @kdenetwork/@installed" to update
the existing deps are also interesting ideas. Perhaps we should start
doing "emerge -uDav @world/@installed".

Marius suggests the following for the subtraction issue (the same
warning as above):
- ---- sets.conf ----
# assuming @kdenetwork is already defined in a higher level sets.conf

[kdenetwork-ignore]
class=base.DummyPackageSet
packages=kde-extra/i-dont-want-this

[kdenetwork]
remove=kdenetwork-ignore
- ---- sets.conf ----

So this is what I would like to see with sets. Am I crazy? Is it
possible to do any of this? Anyone has some other needs?

- --
Regards,

Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / SPARC / KDE

[1] -
http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/genone/2008/09/29/more_extensions_to_package_set_support