On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 05:07:21PM +0100, Steve Long wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> >> Hm, what about:
> >> [ "$(type -t src_configure)" == function ] && EXPORT_FUNCTIONS
> >> src_configure
> >>
> >> Or is this too fragile or trying to be too clever?
> >
> > It's illegal, according to PMS. It also won't work with Paludis, since
> > phase function definitions aren't made available until just before that
> > phase executes (there is a reason for this -- it provides us with a way
> > of identifying whether a package has a particular phase or not).
> >
> That seems a bit implementation-specific; how one alternative package
> manager generates that metadata isn't important (though it does seem odd
> that you think it has to be done at that point) nor should it get in the
> way.

Actually both alternative PM's do this now (>=pkgcore-0.4.7.9),
although in pkgcore's case the default phase functions are installed
after sourcing rather then at the time of invocation.

Long term, this is the correct way to go imo- the downside to it is
that a common sourcing env needs be defined at some point (newdepend,
newrdepend, etc) to avoid any question of what's available.

~brian