Doug Goldstein wrote:

>> While the rule of thumb has been if an eclass needs something it should
>> provide it's own depends. However the virtualx eclass needs to be
>> different simply because in some cases it's only uses for tests (this is
>> it's most common usage in the whole) tree. When it's used for tests
>> pulling in the xorg-server the most ideal situation would be if
>> xorg-server was only pulled in on USE=test because currently for anyone
>> emerging an app that uses GTK+ they have a weird situation in the fact
>> that all of GTK+'s depends that have USE=X use it to mean libX11 (as do
>> most usages of the X USE flag), however GTK+ itself due to it's usage of
>> the virtualx eclass pulls in xorg-server when USE=X, which is only used
>> for tests. This results in a confusing experience for users looking to
>> built a headless machine.
>>
>> It'd be a lot more consistent if ebuilds provided a USE flag or directly
>> depended on the xorg-server and then used the functions in the eclass.
>> So in summary, those are the changes I plan on making very shortly. If
>> someone's got some input, please speak up.
>>

> Alright... after talking to Diego, Dave, and Remi the final result that
> I've come up with is the following:
>
> VIRTUALX_CONDITIONAL_USE="test"
>
> inherit virtualx
>
> That'll result in virtualx adding the following:
>
> DEPEND="test? ( x11-base/xorg-server x11-apps/xhost )"
>
> if VIRTUALX_CONDITIONAL_USE is unset (as it will be for all ebuilds
> initially) the default will be "X". Which means the default is the same
> as what we've got today. If it's set to an empty string, it'll always be
> required. Otherwise, it will use the supplied USE flag.

Turns out this situation breaks down when multiple USE flags are
required/used. One suggestion is to allow for that via:

VIRTUALX_CONDITIONAL_USE="test X"

but needs someone to write some elegant shell to make that expansion
happen. Also, it'll happen in the global scope when the data is cached
so a little ugh on that part.

The last fall back of course is to go to just defining VIRTUALX_DEPS and
letting each ebuild USE it how it needs to use it.

Feedback, comments, etc are appreciated.

--
Doug Goldstein