Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
- no need to replicate homepage data between versions; even though forks
  can change homepage, I would expect that to at worse split in two a
  package, or have to be different by slot, like Java;

But also the need to replicate http://www.kde.org/ to metadata.xml of all KDE split ebuilds -- right now, this is set by an eclass.

- allows proper handling of packages lacking a HOMEPAGE;

Could you elaborate a bit about how different is handling of an empty/uninitialized shell variable from an empty XML element?

- less data in metadata cache;

Isn't it in the cache for some reason? Really, I'm just asking.

- users can check the metadata much more easily by just opening the xml
  file or interfacing to that rather than having to skim through the
  ebuild, the xml files are probably more user readable then ebuilds
  using multiple eclasses;

Haven't we already agreed that accessing ebuilds/... directly is broken by design?

- webapps like packages.gentoo.org would be able to display basic
  information without having to parse the ebuilds or the metadata cache.

Except for the ebuilds which still use the old format (that is 100% of the tree right now)

Cheers,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth