On Thursday 01 of January 2009 22:03:55 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> No, FHS is not the most commonly used layout. The traditional Unix
> layout is the most commonly used layout.

So.. why not blindly use Unix layout everywhere instead (for Gentoo news as
well)

On Thursday 01 of January 2009 22:37:28 Alistair Bush wrote:
> I actually agreed with Ciaran on this point. especially seeing I would
> like us to follow the parts of LSB that make sense within the Gentoo
> ecosystem.  (take Init Script Actions as an possible example
> http://refspecs.linux-foundation.org/LSB_3.2.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-ge
>neric/iniscrptact.html).

So, you agree with Mr Ciaran on that FHS is silly or on blindly following
*every* LSB standard being silly? Great, but I wasn't suggesting any of this,
I just suggested to pick any standard (most commonly used in Gentoo already),
and *only one* and blindly follow it to avoid inconsistency.
In such scenario, please elaborate what is your point really.

>> It's not the point to blindly follow freedesktop or LSB - the point is to
>> consistently follow one standard across whole distribution - if it's FHS
>> - fine, if not - fine as well - but *only one* at a time.
> > That being said I'd rather propose to force Gentoo news to comply to
>> FHS as FHS is the most commonly used file/directory layout in Gentoo.

> This really is bikeshedding......   Isn't consistently following a
> standard also blindly following it.  So when you ask us to consistently
> follow FHS why not ask for us to blindly follow it.
> Man this is getting boring.

Yes, you're right. Let everyone follow his own standards - everyone likes
spaghetti afterall... (just look at eclasses/ebuilds in you're uncertain)

No, it's not bikeshedding, it's misunderstanding the sentence.
Consistently following *some* standard is blindly following *the same*
standard, but consistently following *some standard* is *not* blindly
following LSB nor is blindly following FHS. See the difference?

So to make it all clear once again and for the last time - I would rather
propose to force Gentoo news to comply to existing the most commonly used
file/directory hierarchy structure in Gentoo distribution.

cheers

--
regards
MM