On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 14:43:01 -0800
Zac Medico <zmed...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Well, if you want to use timestamps, the alternative is to
> distributors to use a protocol which preserves timestamps. This
> creates an unnecessary burden. Allowing distribution of metadata
> cache via version control systems is more flexible.

Ok, if we're going to encourage this, let's do it properly:

* Have a branch called 'master'. Commit to it. Don't stick any metadata
  in it.

* Have a branch called 'master-with-metadata'. Don't commit to it
  manually.

* Have a script that merges master to master-with-metadata, and as part
  of the merge commit, generates all necessary metadata for the range
  it's merging.

* Store either the partial hash or the owning repository and timestamp
  of each eclass used by an ebuild in its metadata.

--
Ciaran McCreesh