On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 7:02 PM, Tiziano Müller <dev-z...@gentoo.org> wrote:

>> > Instead of switching file extension every time the eapi is changed you
>> > could also increment it only when a new EAPI breaks sourcing the ebuild
>> > compared to the requirements of the prior EAPI.
>> > (This way you'd in fact split EAPI into a major- and a minor-version.)
>> >

>> Doesn't that just add extra complexity for no gain.
> Yes, sure. I was just looking for a solution for the "we have countless
> .eapi-X after 10 years" problem.

No one wants to be working with ebuild-29 or something like that in a
few years and trying to figure out which feature came in which EAPI.
Instead of bumping EAPI for each little change, save them up and bump
no more than once a year or less, each bump bringing in some major new
feature. With a little common sense and planning, we could make this a
non-issue and give ebuild authors and PM devs alike a little time to
get used to each change.