On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:08:23 +0100
Luca Barbato <lu_z...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Is there any technical merit in putting eapi in the file extension
> while we could restrict the format the same way in file and have
> about the same, negligible, performance hit? (I used warm cache since
> you need the file anyway so you don't spend time to look it up twice
> or put it in cache twice)

Uh, your benchmarks are nonsense. That is not how metadata checks work.
By parsing the ebuilds you're talking doubling the number of file reads
required to get the job done, and massively increasing the number of
seeks required.

But that isn't even the main issue. The main issue is that even if you
retroactively pretend that all ebuilds are in a format they're not, and
ignore the breakage, and then wait for a year for package managers to
try to parse your new format, you *still* can't change name or
versioning rules.

Again, these are all things that have been discussed at length
previously. Please either come up with a legitimate technical
objection, or admit that you've seen the light.

--
Ciaran McCreesh