On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 21:20:14 +0100
Tomáš Chvátal <scarab...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> lately i see that in our bugzilla most of the build reports are
> reported with localized build logs which we dont understand. This
> leads to us asking the user to run the emerge once more with LC_ALL=C.
>
> Wont it be nice to have this variable set by default in portage so
> users reporting bugs report in English? Since if everything goes fine
> they dont even bother about the warnings/errors and if something goes
> wrong it ends up on us to solve the mess :]
>
> The LC_ALL should be set for all relevant configure/compile/install
> phases at least.

You do realize that many people don't speak any English, and therefore
wouldn't be filing bugs anyways?  They just want to use their
computer.  I'm not sure they will appreciate you forcing a language they
don't speak on them any more than I would like to suddenly see all my
build errors in Myanmar.

--
gcc-porting,                                      by design, by neglect
treecleaner,                              for a fact or just for effect