On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 13:44:55 -0500
Doug Goldstein <car...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I'm wondering what exactly is the harm in letting developers idle for
> a while?

Nothing, as long as they don't pretend to be maintaining packages while
they idle. See compnerd and his tonne of system-packages for reference.
It unnecessarily complicates things if people just "step out" for half a
year and don't leave an .away or re-assign their packages.

> The fact that someone only
> does one commit a year does not marginalize their contribution. While
> it may be small it is improving the overall quality of the distro.
> I'm constantly seeing developers getting upset over getting pushed
> out.

They are not being pushed out. One commit a month is not much to ask.
That's one speeling fix per month to be considered an active dev.

If they can't be bothered to do that, well, I really feel for them, but
they should just hand over their keys and submit their yearly commit as
a patch instead. They're even welcome to CC me, citing this thread and
my promise to commit their patch and I shall do it.

Problem solved.

/loki_val