Luke-Jr a écrit :
The xorg-x11 7.4 metapackage also added a number of dependencies on non-Free fonts. There have been a number of other similar issues I've encountered over the past year.

I'll reply to that. The xorg-x11 meta package contains everything upstreams considers important, including fonts.

With the latest patches in >=x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r3, X can work _without_ any fonts at all. Old apps and toolkits (xterm, motif, tk, Xaw, ...) will look ugly as hell but they should work.

In a nutshell, don't use the xorg-x11 meta.

Cheers

--
Rémi Cardona
LRI, INRIA