Donnie Berkholz wrote:
On 14:05 Fri 13 Mar     , Michael Higgins wrote:
Even if they are, an IRC log is a *terrible* way to document an issue.

I agree. So is a mailing-list archive that is also never summarized. It's not the location that makes it a problem, it's the volume of information and the lack of a summary of important decisions or long, important discussions.

I certainly don't consider the use of IRC harmful per-se or consider it a "cabal," but I can't consider IRC and an unsummarized mailing list equivalent communication mediums.

If I want to know what is going on in IRC I need to leave a client connected 24x7 (and if my connection goes down for whatever reason I just miss whatever happens). Then I need to read through thousands of lines of banter to see what is going on.

If I want to know what is going on in a mailing list I launch my threaded email client. If a computer goes down SMTP, IMAP, and various redundant servers will eventually get the messages to me. The discussion is threaded and categorized by topic, so I can mercilessly hit delete and not have much risk of missing something I'm interested in. Essentially even an "unsummarized" mailing list is fairly well summarized compared to IRC.

Don't get me wrong - I like the team-building aspects of IRC. However, it is not a good communication medium when you're dealing with volunteers that might only spend a few hours per week total working on Gentoo (or maybe only a few hours per month), spread across 24 time zones. It is perfect for realtime collaboration on solving specific problems. It is also great for brainstorming ideas, and just having fun. Unfortunately, it also shares certain drawbacks with the phone - for starters it tends to prioritize tasks by urgency rather than by importance. It also encourages "shooting from the hip" - just like having meetings without an agenda, pre-discussion, and general preparation. No problem for trivial tasks, but not a good idea when making final decisions of strategic importance.

However, if certain work takes place exclusively on IRC then you're going to exclude some people. Many of those people could be strong contributors but they might not like working in "realtime." This might not be because of communication skills/etc - maybe they have a family and they'd rather see what needs to be done and take care of it here and there without being given an assignment and having 10 other people bugging them about whether it is done yet when they have 14 other things to do. Sure, such a dev is probably not a good candidate to be leading a major Gentoo project, but that doesn't mean that they have little to contribute. For example, I typed this email in one sitting but I could have just as conveniently taken 3 days to piece it together in 5 minute bursts.

I'd consider the current council format a good example of how IRC can be used in conjunction with mailing lists, agendas, and scheduled meeting times. IRC can be used to finalize thinking and make decisions. It can also be used for informal discussion anytime before a meeting. Much of the serious contribution is captured on mailing lists, however, and when decisions are made it is based upon the widely-gathered input. Everybody knows what decisions are going to be made in advance and can show up if desired. If they can't show up they can at least contact council members in advance (and the world at large) to state their opinions. This certainly doesn't need to be used for every tiny Gentoo decision - but it is a great model for how to handle things of importance.