On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:44:48 +0530
Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbh...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 2:58 AM, Alec Warner <anta...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
> > I think you will encounter namespace collisions, thats why I CC'd
> > zac as he maintains mirror-dist ;p
>
> Why the hell didn't we think of this before!? :o

Uhm. We did. PMS is worded very carefully to ensure that this all
works. The only question is whether Portage's mirroring scripts are
broken. Alec seems to think they are; I'm sceptical, because a) I
pestered Zac about the issue really early on, and b) I strongly suspect
we'd've seen the breakage by now if they were.

> The easiest solution I can think of is for emerge to give special
> consideration to the mirrors in GENTOO_MIRRORS, and look for the
> renamed file there instead of the original ones.

I quote:

In EAPIs supporting arrows, if an arrow is used, the filename used when
saving to \t{DISTDIR} shall instead be the name on the right of the
arrow. When consulting mirrors (except for those explicitly listed on
the left of the arrow, if \t{mirror://} is used), the filename to the
right of the arrow shall be requested instead of the filename in the
URI.

--
Ciaran McCreesh