so from what I can see there doesn't appear to be any 'official' way
of adding new directories, updating perms and the like in baselayout.

my thought is someone who does an emerge -aveD world's system should
for the most part be reset to 'factory' defaults.

of course this leads to the problem... what if the 'admin' explicitly
changed the permissions... Maybe we should have something like
PERMS_PROTECT (similar to config_protect). where portage won't update
the permissions if file/directory is protected.
--
Caleb Cushing

http://xenoterracide.blogspot.com