Mart Raudsepp wrote:
> Enabling tests by default feels like driving users away, because all of
> a sudden their upgrades taken even more time (possibly unexplained to
> them, as an EAPI bump in an ebuild introducing it is not visible to
> them), and they'd just say to hell with it and go to a binary
> distribution that runs the tests for maintainers only, as we should.
>
> Yet we have the _choice_ to take that extra time and double-check on
> maintainers if they really did their job right.

I agree that before EAPI 3 hits the tree we need to do some extensive
pr.  There should be a howto on the changes and what they mean to users,
the benefits and costs etc.  How to enable/disable those changes etc etc.

But in reality all we need is 1 document, links and news items (yes more
than 1 preferably) posted on our homepage, forums, mailing lists.  Hell
even within ebuilds if it comes to that.  If after all that a user still
hasn't figured out that they need to go read that document are we really
in a position where we can do anything else.