Robert R. Russell wrote:

<snip>
> If I understand the problem GLEP 55 is trying to solve correctly, it stems
> from portage's assumption that an unknown EAPI is equal to EAPI 0.

No, portage will reject an ebuild with an unknown EAPI, as per the spec.
(This is important for shared overlays.) Search for:
def eapi_is_supported
..in pym/portage/__init__.py for the impl,  and you can see usage of it in
pym/_emerge/__init__.py, if you want to confirm this (or are just
interested in the code;)

http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/portage/main/trunk/
(has instructions for anonymous download, should anyone be interested in
following portage development, or perhaps contributing at some stage.)

--
#friendly-coders -- We're friendly but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)