On Saturday 16 May 2009, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> Have a look at every package using a MY_PV style thing. Group those
> into "upstream's doing something dumb" and "upstream's being sensible
> but our arbitrary restrictions on rules means we can't follow what
> they do".

I like the fact that our versioning rules are a fixed subset of the sum
of all our upstream's versioning rules. It provides a more consistent
user experience.
As a user, I know it's always "_rc" and never "-rc". Gentoo developers
take care of mapping all upstream versions onto an easy-to-remember set
of ebuild versions.

The file extension change makes changing versioning rules possible. From
a developer PoV, this might relieve me from fiddling with MY_PV.
However, I have to take care of additional fuzz with file extensions
(As pointed out by klausman).

Bottom line: I see no gain for me as a developer, and a loss of
consistency for users.

Robert